Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Game of the Year (So Far) : 2012 Edition

So I know everyone loves to check out the Game of the year award winners at the end of each year to see which titles were the best around. I noticed, though, that many of the games that come out at the beginning of the year can sometimes be overlooked. That's why, this year, I'll be post Game of the Year posts throughout the year to let you know what I have found to be the standout game so far.



For 2012, there hasn't been much released yet, and SWTOR has been keeping me pretty busy. But one game I was excited to get my hands on was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. This title, the first featuring work from 38 Studios, has a great focus on RPGs without forgetting to be fun. And fun it is, thanks almost completely because of the combat. Fluid motion, customization and changes on the go allow you to play this game the way you feel like it. As you progress, you will be unlocking interesting new ways to branch off your original fighting path and try some new nuances to that style.

Reckoning feels like a solid mix of Fable and Oblivion. Though your decisions may not carry as much weight one way or another, you can choose to create a voice in the world. But your actions carry far more weight. The world relies on you. That is a blessing and a curse as most for the people you will run into will have need of your aid. There aren't as many people just living their lives.

I am loving this game, and it's the combat that's got me. I love being able to rip through these giant monsters by my fae blade dancing. The speed and the solid motion of combat keeps me interested. I actually am just amazed by how beautiful the world of Amalur can be. Todd Mcfarlane has helped create another setting I'm very interested in. It's not all him, but you can certainly see his influence.

If you want a fun melee or magic-focused combative world, Go buy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment